Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Here's and update on Pi Day. Our cherry pie sat cooling in the window sill. Look at how cool that is! And then it was gone, replaced by money under a rock.
Okay, that's a lie. It fell down into the sink. Notice it's already cut? One of the quarters didn't survive.

This weekend was conference. We enjoyed sitting on the couches and snuggling and eating instead of going to church, like normal. There were some really good talks... and some really loud kids. I'm not sure I heard every talk. Look at how the doggie and Jay are enjoying conference.

Seth loves the camera. Chad, like me, reveled in wearing jammies.

And cute Sakura was listening as well. There. Conference recorded :)My news is that the school I work at is going in a strange direction next semester, just as I'm needed at home. So I shouted, "I quit!" and smiled away.
Fine. I keep lying today. There wasn't a scene like that. I did give them my notice that I won't be back in the fall. Natalie is having a difficult pregnancy so she can't pick up Seth and do lots of things, so I'm actually going to nanny for them. I can't say I pictured nannying as part of my future at all, so I'm glad it's for my awesome, sweet niece and nephew and not some crazy family :) 
If you're wondering, the new program at the school has all the teachers read scripts instead of normal teaching lessons and then we have the kids chant back to us their responses in unison (since they have to memorize definitions and other things). Also, the kids have to be in "learning position" (feet flat on floor, facing forward, not wiggling) at all times... even the kindergartners. Children are not allowed to teach each other because the only experts in the classroom are the teachers themselves. Apparently this program does have good things about it--it's proven to raise test scores ridiculously high.
I wonder if the school is really going to go through with it, since I think the turn over rate of the kids would be enormous, but it's not really my concern anymore, especially since the kids I'm most attached to are 6th graders (where I am) and they'll be graduated. This school's been a really pleasant place to be and I hope the administration doesn't change that about it.
So my little sis is getting married in June and I'm pretty excited about it!
Also, my brother came for conference. I'm afraid I didn't get pictures of him, but I swear he was here. I made 2 pounds of bacon and had the group over, with Steve and Stacy and Clara too, and everyone here and we feasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment