Saturday, December 13, 2014

Moving and New House

A little over a month ago, a Monday, Jay had a job interview. A recruiter had contacted him and told him he would be a good fit. He agreed to take the interview. On Tuesday he had an exciting job offer. By Saturday night, after going to the temple grounds and then driving around the different area of Sacramento, we decided that Jay should change jobs.

I'm very proud of Jay. This past month has been a lot of work, but so far he feels like him new job offers more career growth and will give him more experience.

While moving was tough, I think the only thing we miss is our old ward. We loaded our furniture the Saturday after Thanksgiving and had so many members of our ward there to help Jay haul the heavy furniture. From start to finish, that ward in the LDS church is going to forever be remembered as being so very helpful!

We also had some help from our new ward. We have met some really great people so far, including one family that lives just 1 street away.

We have had SO much rain for the last little bit. We were very blessed that it never rained much while we were moving furniture and boxes, but there was the constant damp and times when it poured. In fact, the last few days we had "the biggest storm in California in 5 years." We were prepared with water, a camp stove, flashlight, candles, and food, but luckily didn't need anything extra. We just stayed at home when we could and the worst was getting woken up by the wind Wednesday night.

The first Monday we moved in I drove back to our old place and did all the cleaning and finishing things. Just as I was getting ready to go, I realized that our Internet provider may want their router back. I called and was on hold 20 minutes. Finally I was told that I could drop it off at a nearby location. Well, since I had been on hold for so long, I was now going to be late to meet the AT&T guy at my new place. I jumped on the freeway and headed to my new home. He was supposed to arrive anywhere between 1-4 p.m. When I got there he was already there, waiting. He was very polite too. We may have loved Consolidated Communications, but I approve of this AT&T guy.

I had a lot of things to carry in from my truck -- cleaning supplies, a tall lamp, the vacuum, broom, mop, and things I had found on my last walk through of our place. I was busy bringing them in and realized I didn't know where Little Foot had gotten too.

I walked into the living room and there he was with the AT&T guy. The installer was laying on the floor working on the router, and Little Foot was cuddling with his leg, certain the man was there for him! Ha!

The next day I dropped Jay at work because of the heavy rain -- he couldn't ride his bike. I realized that I still had to return the Consolidated Communications wireless router. I looked it up and the closest location to me was very close to where I used to live. How I wish I had had the time to return it the day before! I also really needed groceries, mostly produce, and some organizational things. I waited an hour and a half but the rain didn't let up. I decided to make the 25 minute drive at least while there was some daylight.

I pulled in to Consolidated Communications and a man in the parking lot told me that my headlight was out. Let's just give you something else to stress about!

Well, I decided that I had better just go back to my new area of Sacramento to a Dollar Tree where I knew they had a lot of things I needed to organize my new place, like a silverware tray thin enough to fit in my drawer (even the drawers in my new home are tiny!). I followed my GPS and when I got there, I found a grocery store next to it, where I got lots of produce, and an auto parts place just across the street. After shopping, I went inside the auto parts place, armed with my car manual. I did have to ask for help -- my car is a '94, so the compatible headlight listed now went by a new name.

At home I tried hard to install it myself. I really wanted to get it done before picking up Jay. With my make and model you're supposed to take the entire front grill of the truck off. I got close, but couldn't quite get it done. I felt better when I searched for more information online and even certified mechanics agree that taking off the grill is a pain.

When Jay got home, he helped me do the rest. And now we have 2 working headlights.


Our bedroom

His and Her Closets

Master bathroom attached to the bedroom
If you ever saw our old bathroom, I'm so grateful for the storage in this one!


Our very orange alcove. The joys of renting . . . 

A spot just for Jay's truck

Little Foot loves that there are stairs. Also, that is a mirror, not unique choice of art.

2nd bathroom downstairs

I invite all of my tall relatives to come visit. I have to reach WAY up to adjust the spray of our extra tall shower heads

When we moved in, we called this the Harry Potter storage because it's under the stairs. However, once we got our coat hung up, we suddenly started referring to it as Narnia.

We aren't attached to the houses around us; just really close to them. I still love not sharing walls with neighbors.

Jay painstakingly installed the dog door panel into the sliding glass door. Yes, it means the space for humans to get in and out is that much smaller. It's totally worth it. I hope. Little Foot sometimes forgets how it works and will bark to be let back in. We've been training him, but the fact that there has been a lot of rain and he doesn't even want to go outside have made things harder.

Our backyard

2 comments:

  1. Looks like it's a pretty nice place! I kind of like that the walls are colorful. One thing I hate is all beige/white walls.

    ReplyDelete