My grandma passed away before Christmas. She was my grandpa's wife (technically a step-grandma) but she was one of my grandmas and I've always known her as Grandma.
Grandma loved us kids very much. She loved to get pictures of us all.
By the way, if you dress really nerdy as an 11-year-old because you're just going to see your grandparents, it will come back to haunt you later when your grandparents share lots of photos with your spouse.
Her birthday was July 19 and mine is July 24, so we would celebrate together when I was little. I remember one year she told me, "Your mom is baking a cake for me. Is there some other kind of treat I can make for you for your birthday?"
I thought and said I wanted pumpkin pie. She didn't tell me that you don't have pumpkin pie in July, but instead said she would and then was grateful she had a can of pumpkin still in her cupboard from the Thanksgiving before.
They had 2 Pomeranians, Buddy and Lady, who they doted on. After I was married, Jay and I would bring Little Foot over. She loved that I owned a little dog.
I remember playing games -- Go Fish and Uno and Ping Pong against my Grandpa. Grandma always had long painted fingernails and I remember a few times she helped my sisters and I paint our nails. She taught me that ice water makes polish dry instantly, something my mom didn't know.
I even remember that one year she got me earrings as a gift that looked like they were pierced and they didn't hurt like clip ons do. Instead they screwed on. When you're 7 and not allowed to have pierced ears, that was a big deal.
I also remember meeting them at parks and feeding the ducks. Grandma loved birds and they put out birdseed in their backyard to watch all the different kinds. They also had a cuckoo clock that we kids were impressed with and got into lots of trouble if we ever touched it.
On the Monday before Theo was born when we were just getting moved into our new home from moving states, I took our car back to the place we bought it to get a motor replaced on the back windshield wiper. The car lot said they could give me a ride, but I said I lived 40 minutes away. They suggested I go to the mall. I called my grandparents and ended up visiting with them, who were only 15 minutes away. Grandma was concerned with me and insisted they make a big lunch with tuna sandwiches and soup. It was good to get to spend time with them.
I saw them a month later after the baby was born and she told me, "You look so much better! Last time I saw you, you didn't look good at all."
She repeated this a few times.
At the time I thought it was kind of an awkward thing to say, but looking back I know I was so tired and stressed when I saw them and I really did need all the fussing over she could give.
I love her and look forward to seeing her again in the next life.
Wonderful tribute to Grandma Phyliss. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteGreat memories Julie. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete