My grandma, my Dad's mom, was hospitalized over Mother's Day for an infection and other things. She went from completely independent to now having our family look into hospice for her.
I got to see her on Friday and she was very weak, but told me that she loved me and sent her love to Theo, Miri, Wendy, and Jay.
I keep thinking of what I want my children to know about her when they get older.
One obvious thing to tell is how much she loved to spoil us, but that isn't the main thing I want them to know. She was a giant in our lives. She was always there and always supporting and always loving.
Growing up she had all the in-town family over for dinner every Sunday and we loved it. She made great food and then had toys inside and a fish pond and a basketball hoop outside. After dinner was dessert and then candy and often popsicles too. One thing I remembered is that she was always happy to see us and pleasant to be around. She never made us feel bad is we wanted to read a book while we were there. She came to our performances, whenever and wherever they were. She was quite a musician but still came to our of tune choirs and things because she wanted to be there. She also came to my concerts at the community college choir I was in and was very happy with those. She learned how to use Facebook so she could see our pictures on it and read my blog. She also would send cards in the mail and also weekly letters whenever I lived away from Tucson. She would update me on her life and send jokes. She printed out comics and silly rhymes for us to enjoy. I feel like in 2021 funny comics are one of the most important parts of the Internet, but she was sharing them before it was cool.
But with all that, I want to note that mostly she was always there and always aware of us and cheering us on and showering us with gifts. All these things are true but they add up to so much more. Her influence and love in our lives was and is gigantic. She will be sorely missed.
A few stories
Sometimes we had grandkid, cousin sleep overs at her house. I remember her putting on a movie and passing out popcorn and soda and taking care of us. I think it was at one of these that she answered the phone, listened for a minute, and then said, "I don't answer that question." Then she hung up.
I was shocked. She looked at us and said, "That person wanted to sell me something, but asked how I was. They don't care how I am, so I don't answer that question."
I remember in 6th grade I got glasses. I had known I needed them for awhile but was embarrassed to get them. When I walked into her house with them, she told me she liked them and that, "You look so much nicer not squinting all the time." She noticed me.

No comments:
Post a Comment