Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Lemonade Stand and Board Games and Miri Swimming

Dreams

Miri told me at bedtime that she didn't want me to leave because she would miss me. I explained that I still needed to put Theo to bed, but I would be nearby.

She insisted she would miss me.

I told her that she could sleep and dream about me.

She said, "I'm going to dream that I will give you a hug. And I'm going to dream that I will hug Grandma too!"

Wendy countered, "Well I'm going to dream about bats!"

My girls have different priorities. A few nights later Wendy updated this dream to, "I'm going to dream that I can fly like a bat!"

Lemonade Stand

Theo has been asking to do a lemonade stand for ages.

I've warned him I have no idea how it will go. Will people buy? 

But he tried a lemonade recipe with bottled lemon juice the other day to see how it would taste and it was actually good.

So today when I said we needed to get bread and eggs, he grabbed his wallet and begged to come with.

He checked himself out for $5.29. I asked if he charged $1 per cup, how many he had to sell to make a profit. He said 6.

I kind of wanted to just step back and let him do as much as possible, but I have taught him about washing his hands and gave him gloves to wear and we've been discussing logistics. And, you know, I've been discussing with him that I have no idea if people will want to buy any. It's so hot out there won't be many people outside.

His first morning selling, I bought a cup, and he gave the girls a discount because they didn't have enough money. One girl gave him $0.80 and the other $0.75. Then the couple next door, Fred and Carolyn, each bought a cup. 

A few days later he set up in the late afternoon. He sold again to the same neighbors, their friend that was over, Jay bought a cup, and a few others. One guy paid with a $10 bill and told him to keep the change. 

People are very kind and Theo was thrilled. He bought Rubik's cubes with his earnings.

Whose Mom? 

(written 7/18)

Today at the library Wendy walked ahead and tried to pass a woman browsing the shelves. Miri chided her, "Wait! That isn't Mom. That's someone else's mom. You don't go with someone else's mom. You go with OUR mom!"

Rubik's Cube

(Written 7/18)

Theo has learned to solve the 3x3 Rubik's cube. Tonight I mixed it up awhile and timed him. He had it solved in 3 minutes and 53 seconds!

He said it was lucky that part of the cube solved itself as he did the algorithms to solve another part. I spent awhile mixing it up, but I guess I didn't do a great job.

Swim Lessons

(written 7/18)

Theo also took swim lessons and learned to tread water for 43 seconds. He had a lot of fun learning new techniques and then playing games in the water. I'm glad we put him in the lessons even if he's a pretty good swimmer already.

(update)

A few days ago Jay and I decided that we really needed to take the girls' swim vests off in the water to help them learn that they don't naturally float. We had done a lot more with Theo at this age, but it's harder to watch twins and help twins. Since we were both at the pool, we tried that day.

Wendy got her face wet and immediately clung to me like a monkey. 

Miri took off, swimming a few feet underwater, and then would bob up for a breath and grab onto Jay or me or the wall. She was amazing! She's not at all afraid, so that didn't work, but she did so well! We need to get her goggles that fit her better.

Color By Numbers

Wendy really loves color by numbers.

She started one today without any help -- only she can't read yet. She saw a g and decided she knew what color to use.

I saw it later and hissed at Theo, "Don't you dare tell her that her dolphin was supposed to be grey instead of green."

Now Miri sat down with the same worksheet and has started coloring her dolphin green as well.

Board Games

I taught Theo how to play the board game Settlers of Catan yesterday while the girls napped. He liked it so much that he wanted to play immediately when he woke up today. I said after breakfast. He also wanted to involve the girls. We mostly just let them roll the dice using a dice tower while Theo and I played. The game can have up to 4 players and Theo kept asking when the girls would be old enough to play by themselves. He didn't seem to notice that they girls kept bumping the board and were definitely not old enough yet. I kept saying in some years.

Later Miri told me, "Mom, could we play a game, but could it be one of our games?" I guess she prefers Daniel Tiger or the matching game to a boring game for older kids.

Oh, and Theo beat me twice at the game. I haven't beaten him yet.

Theo bought Candy Land at the store. This version is different from the old one my mom has -- instead of it taking as long as possible, this version takes about 5 minutes to beat. Instead of "stuck in the Molasses Swamp" until a red is drawn, you just have a few spots where you miss one turn. I think there are fewer spaces and more double colors. Whatever it is, the kids like it a lot.

Wendy asked if we could have special Mommy and Wendy time and we played it twice together in a short time.

Theo also has been teaching me to solve a Rubik's cube. What a role reversal, but I think we all knew it was coming.

Pretend

Miri has been really into pretend play recently. She also finds it really important to explain that she is pretending. 

I'll hear her announce from the other room,  "I am a pretend grown up! I'm going to go eat a pretend lollipop! My doggie just pretend threw up!"

Her doggie is usually a reference to Wendy, who loves to pretend to be a dog. For some reason she doesn't announce her as a pretend doggie. Wendy also enjoys barking and playing dog or kitty for awhile.

They also both love to pretend to go to doctor's offices and use a stethoscope to listen to each other's "heart beep."

Theo got a Minecraft Cookbook (by the Nerdy Hostess, I believe) from the library
He made these hunger bar drumsticks mostly by himself. They were really good and fun. Theo didn't really eat much though. He also made "gold blocks" from it. It was a grilled cheese with 4 slices of cheddar on it. I'm glad he's making things that aren't just desserts. Good job, cookbook author. 

I know I already showed this photo, but now I have the other below for comparison

I had blond curls and honestly look older than Wendy was.
As a grown up, I don't sleep that well anymore.

Splash pad in the backyard because it's hot and our community pool was closed for like 10 days last month





This was from a book called, Don't Hug Doug. 
It's about how some people like hugs, but not everyone, so you need to ask before you hug someone. Don't worry, Doug likes you. He just doesn't like hugs.
Anyway one night Jay asked me what a "freaking high five" was. Apparently Miri asked for one with her bedtime hug.
I had to show him that it's a "Franken five" where you high five Frankenstein's monster.



Wendy got these little stuffies and we told her they were an alien and a platypus.
She played with them for hours before I realized she thought the alien was the one on the right and the platypus is the one on the left. 
Platypuses are weird.



No comments:

Post a Comment