Saturday, October 26, 2013

Halloween fun 2013


 We've had a lot of fun this October, even though it's not the 31st yet!

Miniature pumpkin carving!

Scoop, Jay, scoop!

He likes to chew on the pumpkin bottom we discarded. Or so we thought. I turned around to put the camera away. Away from prying eyes, he swallowed the entire piece in seconds!

I'm gonna get this pumpkin!
 I also spent a lot of time working on our Halloween costumes. Here are my Princess Jasmine pants (or, as the tutorial I found online called them, my harem pants. Ha ha.

Your cut out 2 of these and pin them right sides together.
Then you sew the 2 curved edges (upper and lower right corners).
These are your crotch lines.

Then you turn one crotch line forward (the other back) and separate the 2 pieces into separate legs. Pin it ankle to crotch.

Sew and turn right side out. After that I put elastic in the waist line and ankles.

I also made the top for me. This took a really long time of trial and error.
I used these websites for help:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Fitted-summer-crop-top-DIY/?ALLSTEPS (for the main top. Then I added more fabric to the bottom)
http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2011/07/adding-sleeves-to-sleeveless-dress.html (to add sleeves, but instead of cap sleeves, I made ones that went all the way around my arm to better cover me.

I used a shower curtain from the dollar store to make patterns--it's easy to write on and so much easier than just eye balling it and trying to write on fabric...

But after I was done, I said, "Next time I think I'll just buy a pattern."

I made Jay's vest from a large T shirt from Goodwill. Instructions here. Only I didn't do the girly ties in the tutorial.
Little Foot's vest was made similarly from fabric of a big T-shirt from Goodwill for a dollar, too.


Aladdin and Abu!
After a good meal and a good pipe, Little Foot felt really tired.
I heard that you could take a regular brown paper sack, put popcorn kernels in it, fold it over a few times, and microwave it for cheap, easy popcorn.
Unfortunately, the website said to put 1/2 Cup in there. The bottom of the bag blew out with popping kernels, and showered my microwave as seen above. However, the top that was folded held.
I have since tried it with fewer kernels. I haven't got it to work perfectly yet, but I made some yummy caramel popcorn. I still need to work out how much to put in and how long to put it in. 

2 comments:

  1. We always do the popcorn in a bag (b/c Clara's allergic to the other kind). We put 1/4 c popcorn in a bowl, put in enough oil to coat (then some sugar or brown sugar for kettle/caramel corn) and micro it for 1:30. You can airpop it too, but we like a little bit of oil (and you definitely need it if you want the sugary variety :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, we mix the popcorn in the bowl, then put it in the bag to cook :)

    ReplyDelete