Sunday, October 26, 2014

Halloween 2014 -- Star Wars

It's not Halloween yet, but we've gotten to wear our costumes to 2 parties so far. I made my Princess Leia dress from this tutorial, although I didn't line it -- the pattern tells you to make the dress twice, and then use 1 as a lining and one as the dress. This meant you're supposed to buy 8 yards of fabric! I didn't do that, and just bought 4 yards and used a coupon.

It was a pretty easy pattern to make. In fact, I think the hardest part was finding fabric that would work and not be too see through (I did wear a white undershirt and slip, but wanted it to have some substance anyway). If anyone needs some help making a Leia costume, I now think I could help. I did make some changes, like using Velcro instead of snaps for the collar. I love Velcro in costumes.

Jay went as Han Solo, and he did a great job on his costume and gun holster. He bought a kid's cowboy vest from the thrift store and used it to make the fake leather holster. He also bought the toy gun and painted it and drilled extra holes in it to make it look awesome.

We collaborated making Little Foot's Chewbacca costume: I made the lined furry coat and Jay made the bandolier and attached it.

On Friday we attended a wonderful Halloween party at a friend's, Claire's. There were over 40 people at the party and it was so much fun! 

At Claire's party. Do you see all the spiders on the walls?
We brought Little Foot with us so everyone could appreciate his costume, but then ran him home early and returned to finish the party by ourselves. This was after he went home.
 


Jay drilled those holes and painted it to turn a toy gun into a fun costume piece

My boots. I found them at the thrift store for $6. They were bright purple, so Jay spray painted them white for me.
That did not stay . . . there are large patches of purple showing through now after just 2 nights of wearing them. But my dress was long and it was fine. And now I can wash them and get purple boots.

Hans Solo and Chewy



Spiderman was having a good time at the party :)

Princess Anna from Frozen.
She sewed the costume herself.

Queen Elsa from Frozen.
Her mom sewed this costume and it was my favorite of the night. I wish I had a better picture of the detail.
This girl walked around casting spells and having fun pretending to be Elsa. She was the most in character person at the party.

Both came dressed as Athena, the Goddess of Knowledge
No, that wasn't a plan.

It's Sparky the Sundevil (The ASU mascot). Pretty cute, huh? I know my U of A fan family and friends will excuse me for posting this photo because it's just so cute! 

Athena making Chewbacca do tricks




Jay cleaned up these thrift store boots really well.

At the church Halloween party the next night, there was a boy dressed as Luke, so I wanted a picture with him. After all, we are twins. You can't see it, but he had his baby brother in a carrier on his back. The brother was dressed as Yoda :)

This little Tinker Bell kept plopping herself down in front of Chewbacca, tapping his nose, and then giggling a lot.




No comments:

Post a Comment