We did orienteering a week ago and I wanted to brag that I made a decent time and I even carried Little Foot through part of it. I really should have taken more pictures.
I will admit that my yellow course was pretty simple, especially with the lake as a landmark.
Jay and his dad taught me orienteering and I am becoming more competent at it. In the past I usually got really lost and so was the last to finish.
Little Foot used to do lots of orienteering, but now he's gotten old. There were 8 controls in my course -- locations you're supposed to find -- and he insisted he be carried even before we reached the first one. It's a good thing he's only 13 pounds. Luckily he ran or walked with me through parts of it, so I didn't have to carry him the whole time.
Jay ran the red course -- a course we were told was too off-path to take a dog. He looked pretty tired after it. Apparently his course was over a lot of loose rock and hills.
The one part of my course that had the loose rock and a hill, I had to find another way up -- I couldn't safely carry the dog up, and he couldn't climb it himself. That was for the last control and we were both pretty tired at that point. Luckily another side of the had a rockless path and we both made it up.
Another thing that happened last week was the Primary Program. I was in charge of teaching music and it was really nice to work with all the kids.
My favorite number was Mother, Tell Me the Story. It's a 2 part song where the kids sing a verse, their moms sing a verse, and then they sing the 2 melody lines at the same time in a counterpoint. I also had the female teachers sing with the moms (since the moms couldn't come to all the rehearsals and I needed the kids to practice) and it worked out really well. The number was very beautiful!
I'm in charge of leading the music in Sacrament meeting, and then I led the kids in their songs, so I kept busy. The pianist/organist is also the same person.
After the program I realized that no kid had said anything hilarious. I guess the Primary Presidency did a great job :)
The last rehearsal a boy was given a line to say, and then he was supposed to give his testimony. His testimony at that time was this: "I know that sometimes people are mean for little reasons, and sometimes people are nice for big reasons, but the important thing is to remember that you should be nice."
I thought that was an interesting testimony! He later told us that he was going to write something else for the program, which he did. Somehow his original thoughts stuck with me anyway.
It was very cool to see all the kids I know so well give their parts in front of everyone at church and sing the songs. We also had some ensembles and a piano solo and it all went to so well.
In the future I'm going to get some pictures up of some of the projects Jay had been busy with recently, but I'll wait until it's completely done :)
I also made pumpkin pie again -- this time for a Young Women's camp fundraiser auction. Everyone was in the bidding mood and 2 families got into a bidding war over it. It sold for $65! I made my grandma's recipe and made the big pie and 6 little ones so that Jay and I had some for ourselves. Click the picture below to take you to my recipe blog for the recipe.
Jay and I didn't end up getting anything at the auction because the bidding was very expensive and we got outbid on everything. Last year we brought home a beautiful orange cream cake for $25 or $30 (I can't remember which). This year a cake made by the same person went home for over $80. Also, Jay wasn't interested in most all of the options, so that was another reason we didn't bid too hard.
I believe the Young Woman raised all the money they needed, and the church had a fun event.

No comments:
Post a Comment