Lunar Eclipse
Last night before bed I took Theo out to look at the moon. I asked him what color it was.
"White."
I asked him what happened during a lunar eclipse.
"It looks red." (A verbatim answer from ABC Universe)
"Do you want to see a lunar eclipse?"
"Yes!"
"I'll wake you up tomorrow really early to see one."
![]() |
| lunar eclipse. Not my image |
"See the lunar eclipse?" I asked.
"Looks red! Just like in my book." I was impressed by that sentence.
Then Theo added, "Now see an astronaut!"
"Umm, sorry, we are just seeing a lunar eclipse."
"Okay."
Then we went back to bed. It took me 45 minutes rocking to get him back to sleep. But this morning I asked him what we saw and he said lunar eclipse, so it was worth it. It's so fun to experience things with him that he has never seen. Also, it's awesome that my kid loves outer space.
When we were reading one of his outer space books, I asked him what was on one page.
"The sun."
"What can you tell me about the sun?"
"It's hot. We don't touch it."
Penguin Chick
![]() |
| Notice the penguin chick in his hand, riding the horse too. |
Theo has gotten very attached to a penguin chick stuffed animal we got at my baby shower in Sacramento. It is so cute. He sometimes will ask the penguin chick to help us read.
"What is W for, penguin chick?" H\he asks.
"Wagon," he answers, pretending it's the penguin.
Last night at bedtime he asked for chicken nuggets. He'd eaten dinner well, so I decided to let him have some. Well I turned my back and he decided to let the penguin chick eat too. I showed him that when he was sharing, he had gotten mustard all over the penguin chick's head. He was very upset. I then showed him that I could wash the chick, but encouraged him not to get his chick dirty again. He went to sleep cuddling with the wet chick.
![]() |
| Daddy and Theo wearing Hapi coats and using a fleece blanket to draw pictures (or letters, since Theo requests those) with their fingers. |
We were sick before Christmas and then after Christmas for 3 more weeks. His sleeping schedule was all over the place and when we got better I started waking him in the morning, or he'd sleep until noon, nap during dinner, and then be up until 1 a.m. I hate waking a sleeping boy, but we needed to get back on a good schedule. Personally I am an early riser. Theo takes after his daddy.
I pushed up his wake up time a little at a time to help him adapt.
What it did mean was that I have gotten lots of opportunities to admire and photograph his sleeping positions. He wakes pretty easily, so I previously I left him alone while he slept.
| I put him to bed in his bed. I found him like this |
| Look at his feet sticking out! |
![]() |
| And then a minute later this happened with his legs sticking out of that hole in the back! |
| I think this was a nap |
| I don't remember when I took this one. |
| This morning at 9 a.m. after I had put him to bed after the lunar eclipse. |
![]() |
| This was a morning a few weeks ago. Sometime in the night he had gotten up, turned on his light, gotten into his rocking chair, and fallen asleep. |
Favorite books
I wanted to compile some of Theo's favorite books to share with his friends. I didn't list lots by the same author because the list is long enough as it is. What are your toddler's favorite books?
Gossie by Olivier Dunrea
-- We bought this for him for his birthday. It is an early reader book with simple words and short sentences. This also makes it good for a toddler learning to read. Theo loves the story about boots, walks, and friendship.
Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed by Eileen Christelow
Theo loves this song and this book
Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed by Eileen Christalow
This is one of the cutest of her five Little Monkeys series, with rhyme and books.
In a People House by Theo. LeSieg (another pen name for Theodor Geisel, who is Dr. Seuss)
He loves lots of Dr. Seuss books. I decided to only put one on the list.
Curious George Stories to Share by Rey
Steven's family got Theo this for Christmas and we read and read and read this collection of 8 stories.
Hide and Squeak by Heather Vogel Frederick
This book is cute and fun and we always need a bedtime book that Theo likes, but doesn't make him giggle his head off.
Elephants Cannot Dance by Mo Willems
This book is banned at bedtime. I only need to open up to certain pages before Theo laughs his head off. He quotes from this book randomly. The story is silly, but also worth mentioning are the drawings, which are more styled like comic books than picture books.
I Will Take a Nap by Mo Willems
Theo loves this one too, but I think I may find it funnier than him. I know the agony of being tired and someone not letting you sleep.
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr
He calls it "Chicken Boom Boom Boom." All the little letters try to climb a coconut tree. Lots of fun rhythm. Theo loves it so.
The Secret Birthday Message by Eric Carle
This book's pages are die cut, which is really fun.
Penguins Love Their ABCs by Sarah Aspinall
This is a cute, simple ABC book starring 6 little penguins.
Quackenstien Hatches a Family by Sudipta Bardhan-Qaullen
So funny! This book is a bit about adoption, so it's not just funny but sweet too. I was very impressed with the unusual rhymes.
ABC Universe by American Museum of Natural History
ABC and outer space? Yeah, he loves this.
Rocket Science for Babies by Chris Ferrie
Adults can learn from Chris Ferrie's books too.
Monsters Go Night Night by Aaron Zenze
A very funny bedtime book.
Pete the Cat Five Little Ducks by James Dean
Theo adored this one, based on the song "Five Little Ducks"
Richard Scarry's Find Your ABCs
This book is more advanced than most alphabet books, also going over letters in the middle of words (hat is on the A page along with apple, ax, and many many others).
20 Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street by Mark Lee
This art is really impressive, for kids who like trucks.
Bears and a Birthday by Shirley Parenteau
4 little bears plan a birthday surprise. This doesn't have a whole lot to it, but the bears are darling and Theo loved it.
Potty by Leslie Patricelli
Funny.
Share by Sally Anne Garland
Theo really liked the rabbits and the sharing. This is most appropriate for a child who has to share with a smaller child, but it went over really well here too.
Ten Thank-you Letters by Daniel Kirk
We read this near Theo's birthday and talked about thank yous. It has some really great examples of thank you notes, but also has a plot too. I could see kids as old at 6 liking it.
Bedtime for Mommy by Amy Kouse Rosenthal
A little girl puts her mommy to bed.
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
We read this classic many times.
Monkey Truck by Michael H. Slack
The art is pretty impressive in this one. Theo was enthralled.
Alphabet School by Stephen Johnson
The author took pictures of objects at school that look like letters. After this Theo enjoyed finding letters everywhere.
Dinosaur Vs. the Potty by Bob Shea
Dinosaur loves to play and, what do you know, he still doesn't need to use the potty!
Wake Up, Rupert! by Mike Twohy
Mike Twohy had several we enjoyed. This one is about a rooster who wants to sleep in.
Puppy, Puppy, Puppy by Julie Sternberg
Cute book. If you look in the art, you can find pi and other nerdy things the parents decorate with. Little details are fun.
If You Give a Pig a Party by Laura Joffe Numeroff
He loves the Mouse a Cookie series and this one was a favorite.
Maisy's Digger by Lucy Cousins
All the Maisy books are well received. This one is about Maisy using her excavator to make a pond. How many vehicles does Maisy own? She has a book about her bus, her plane, and others I can't recall right now. I love that Maisy is a girl mouse who wears a dress and drives a big truck in this one.
Tea Party Rules by Ame Dyckman
This is aimed towards girls, but we got it from the library and boys think it's really funny too.
King Jack and the Dragon by Peter Bently
This board book is about imagination. It's also cute.
Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton
Or lots of others of her books. They are cute and many are funny. We love our snuggle puppy.








No comments:
Post a Comment