Saturday, August 31, 2019

Expecting Twins Girls

When we learned we were having twins, we didn't share the news immediately with anyone, including Theo. Still, it was on mine and Jay's mind a lot.




While visiting Utah in July, we got Little Foot together with his litter mate, Happy. We've referred to them as "the twins" before, but this time we stressed it a bit more. Look, Little Foot is with his twin!!!

Theo asked, "What are twins?"
I answered, "It's when a mommy has more than 1 baby in her tummy and so the babies are born the same day. Twins are when there are 2 babies."
Theo got really quiet for a moment as he thought, then said, "Mommy, when you have a baby. . ." he paused.
"Yes?"
"I want you to have one hundred babies in your tummy."
"What?! No!" I blurted, apparently too harshly.
Theo's eyes filled with tears, "But one hundred is my favorite number!"
Chad listening from the other room explained to him that one hundred isn't even possible for humans and I tried to explain that you can't really pick.

After my 12 week pregnancy appointment, we were ready to start sharing the news and found it most fun to do in person.

When we told Theo, he was very happy and excited. Jay explained that it could be 2 boys (which Theo seemed dubious about) or 2 girls (which he seemed to like), or a boy and a girl. He told us that that's what he wants -- a sister and a brother. We told him we didn't know yet.

The night after we told Theo the news, he prayed that night for the babies to be healthy. It was so sweet.

Theo was a very good announcer for us.
He sometimes got shy, but many times he would say, as if a script, "We have news. I'm going to be a big brother!" After he waited for the congratulations to die down, he'd add, "My mommy has 2 babies in her tummy!" People were very excited twice.

Sometimes the morning sickness was hard, and the week of my birthday I also caught a cold. We hadn't told Theo about the pregnancy at this point. I remember the day before my birthday, Theo wanted to play, but I told him I needed to rest. He started complaining. Instead of telling him to be nice, I asked, "Theo, has it been hard that I'm too sick to play as much recently?"
He went from a whine to suddenly having tears in his eyes. He cried, "Yes!" and gave me a big hug. We snuggled for a bit before I was able to get up and do something not very active with him.

We found out last week through a blood test that we are expecting twin girls! We are excited and happy. I have twin girl cousins and another cousin has twin girls, so my babies will be in very good company.
 Theo has been asking for a sister for about 10 months now. In fact, in December, he told a lady at the playground that his baby sister is going to get into my tummy really soon. I told this stranger that this was news to me.
While he had said before that he'd like both a brother and a sister, he is warming up to the idea of two sisters. He calls one of them Bunny and the other he either calls Kitty or Hoppy. We will have to see if his nicknames change. Bunny has been known as Bunny for a really long time, though.

Theo's giant sunflowers

Other Theo stories:

Theo was insisting on reading a honey cookie recipe to me before I left his room after bedtime. I was super tired, but was impressed by how little help he needed. He's really good at reading.
By the end I wasn't paying a lot of attention and he asked, "What's 12 minus 15?"
"Negative 3," I answered.
"Bake for negative 3 minutes. . ."
"Wait, it means bake for 12 to 15 minutes. In recipes '12-15' means 12 to 15, not 12 minus 15."

On the 22nd before bed, Theo was ranking things that he liked:
He likes air conditioner, but he likes food more.
He likes food, but he likes sleep more.
He likes sleep, but he likes iPad time more
He likes Township on the iPad, but he likes his favorite ducky blanket more.

No comments:

Post a Comment