With Theo fully vaccinated for COVID-19, we had talked about having him spend some time with his cousins or something, but he got sick with a cough (but a negative COVID test) so we had an at home Christmas.
Theo was awake with a headache at 5 a.m. Christmas morning. I gave him medicine and he went back to sleep. Poor kid! The girls woke up at their normal time between 7 and 8. I played with them in their room for awhile. They had no idea that it was Christmas so making them wait to open presents wasn't hard for them.
I finally let them out and Jay and I watched as they saw the bouncy ride on unicorn toys we got them under the tree. They were the only thing we hadn't wrapped.
They were both so excited and went running to give them hugs. I don't know which twin said it first, but they both exclaimed, "Sparkle, sparkle, sparkle!"
I guess that's the name of both unicorns. I'm glad they were so excited.
I forgot to write this in the post about the girls' birthday. I thought it was very interesting that Wendy calls me, "Mommy," and Miri calls me, "Mama." It was just so cute that they chose different names for me.
Well since them Miri has decided to also call me, "Mommy," most of the time, so Wendy swayed her thinking.
| We thought we were getting them bouncy toys. It turned out we also got them a step stool to reach the light switch |
| Since every Christmas morning needs a unicorn ride while wearing your new hat and socks, and holding your new reindeer stuffed animal |
| Christmas Eve cookie decorating. Theo had a "ninja-bread man" |
| I made this beautiful no knead overnight bread for Christmas. It was yummy and took so little hands on time. |
Hopefully the videos work below. Wendy was counting and I got it on camera (she counted to 6 like five times in a row before I started filming, but then I had to help her get started again). We count to 6 a lot for giving her an inhaler to help with her cough. We've all been sick. Getting toddlers to take breathing meds is always an adventure, but it taught her to count.
Below Miri surprised me by suddenly climbing up the rock wall at the playground all by herself, in a dress! This was the second time she did it -- the first time I was helping Wendy into a swing and look up and there's Miri scaling the wall without any help or even anyone to cheer her on! Luckily I was really close to run over to spot her.
Below is the bouncy unicorns on Christmas when they first met their "Sparkles,"
I'm going to backdate this post too so that Christmas 2021 post will be in Dec 2021. But this next part covers the new year too. I'm writing on 1-5-21.
I guess I'll take a moment to chronicle my kids' health: Theo has gotten like 5 colds since school started in August. We have had him tested and every time he's been negative for COVID-19. He had 2 in December and it was the first time the girls also got sick. Before that we managed to use face masks and distancing to keep the germs away from the twins. The first time we used Albuterol and then eventually they had a doctor's appointment and they added in a steroid rescue med. The second time we ended up taking Miri to the ER because along with being sick, she choked on a teddy graham at dinner and afterward just kept coughing and coughing and coughing and the Albuterol didn't help. The ER did a chest x-ray, which was clear, so we knew she didn't actually inhale a piece of the cracker, thank goodness. The doctor suggested maybe the choking irritated her throat and that was why the coughing got so much worse after the incident. She was put on a steroid again and that night we got home at midnight. The next night she seemed worse and I was up most of the night just making sure that her breathing didn't get worse. The sleep I did get was in her room on the floor. I took her to the pediatrician the next day and she still had good O2 levels and the doctor said that he really thought that the medicines were going to work better soon, having been on them for so long. He also listened to her lungs before and after getting Albuterol and confirmed that they sounded clearer after.
Wendy was also getting Albuterol for her cough. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday I also gave the steroid rescue meds to Wendy as well, while also giving Albuterol every 4 hours. But we're on the mend now. I'm kind of annoyed that we almost made it an entire calendar year without a hospital visit, but then needed one. I don't know that we've had a year since Theo was born where we stayed out of hospitals -- although to be fair some of those trips were just sonograms to recheck Theo's kidneys. But I am glad that we were able to go and be evaluated.
I'll also note, I went to bed at like 11:30 p.m. on New Year's Eve but not too long afterward, I rushed out because Wendy suddenly had a coughing fit. I grabbed an inhaler and was helping her with the mask and things to take the medicine when I heard the New Year ring in. It's a good thing I'm not superstitious because ringing in the New Year like that might be a bad omen.
Anyway, hopefully that's not too stressful to share. We're doing a lot better and at least with the social distancing the girls have been protected from a lot of colds in their lives, because colds stink for preemies.
No comments:
Post a Comment