Sunday, December 8, 2024

The Girls' Birthday

Written the first week of December: Today we were picking up Theo from the bus stop. I saw the bus coming, opened the car door and waved. The substitute driver smiled, waved, and drove right past. 
I waved more, and the bus disappeared around the curve in the road. 
I got back in the car and told the girls what happened. 
After a few minutes, Wendy asked from behind me, "Mommy, are you laughing or crying?"
"I'm laughing."
"Oh, I was just wondering if Theo being gone makes you laugh or cry."
"Oh, Theo is not gone. He's on that bus. They'll bring him back." I reassured. "I wouldn't laugh at him being gone."
They were back in a few minutes. 

"Mommy, will I get a birth year?" Miriam asked me. 
"Oh, you have a birth year. It's 2019."
"I'm going to get to celebrate my birthday every day for a year?!?!? When?"
I got to explain that we weren't going to celebrate her birthday every single day for a year. 

I forget how mundane tasks for grown ups can be so fascinating to kids, better than toys at times. For sharing their high of the day at dinner, both girls listed their high as "I got to peel a cucumber!"

The Beatles: All you need is love!
Wendy: Is love really all you need?
Me: What do you think?
The girls comprised this list of all they need:
House
Backyard
Fence, if you have pets
Food
Water
Sink
Toilet
Clothes, so no one sees your butt

The girls at 5 years old are a lot of fun. I love hearing their conversations.

Wendy was watching a YouTube video of someone using colored sand to make mandalas and other scenes and told me, "When I grow up, I'm going to be an artist!"

Miri made friends with some preteen girls at the park the other day. She loves to make friends, while Wendy is still the leader when it comes to new experiences. 

Their birthday party was themed Scooby-Doo this year. Jay made a Mystery Machine pinata out of foam board. They had lots of fun with preschool friends and Jenna. 

Theo made both a cake and cupcakes mostly by himself. The girls wanted pizza and salad and chips. I think the only thing we ran out of was the bell pepper slices. 
The girls got lots of fun presents. After we got home while I was putting things away, Theo helped the girls get everything out of the packages and read the directions so they could play with their new toys. It was so helpful of him!


Wendy drew herself, Miri, and Mommy

She begged and begged to pick out the dragonfruit at the store, so I let her. The posed pictures were the best, because like I told her, the fruit itself isn't pink or even yummy.

Theo's last day of Jiu-jitsu at the place he was at for over a year. One of the instructors brought their dog and the girls were so happy.

Going through old photos. Throwback to me and my little sister when I was 17

Gigi visiting Tucson. I think this photo was taken just a day or 2 after I got my wisdom teeth out and my cheeks were swollen. So was 16.

Theo made monkey bread and the girls were helping ice it. They liked it a lot.

Thanks, Christina for gifting the girls so many matching clothes. The sweaters are their absolute favorite

Toys they got at their birthday party. You "cook" up you puppy pancake pet. And they are scented.

Wendy cooking up her pancake pet. They're called Cookiez

Opening gifts

Theo made the cupcakes and cake







Pin the tail on Scooby Doo





Theo got her a giant giraffe and we got her the spirograph jr.

I also got them hand brooms that they love. I didn't tell them it was a birthday gift, but they still told me how much they love them. And now they can clean up without accidentally whacking me with the end of a giant broom.




"Do you know what those are?"
"Yeah, they're TOYS! I love toys!"
They were bath toys that wind up, and the girls do adore them.

For their actual birthday they picked our this sparkle unicorn ice cream and we put candles in it. They loved it.

I snapped a photo of the cousins all cute at Thanksgiving. It wasn't until I took the photo that I realized they were all gathered around a screen. That's a bit less idyllic. But I'm glad they were all excited and not pushing

Nat sent Jay's old Caspar shirt. It glows in the dark and Wendy loves it.




No comments:

Post a Comment