Friday, January 30, 2026

Miri surgery

Miriam had surgery for an umbilical hernia today. She did really well before it and during it. She was nervous, but she didn't cry. She really liked that Jay took off work to be with her too. 

The little turtle has a tiny anesthesia mask too!

After surgery she was not happy.




Pre-surgery, Miri got to bring her new turtle into surgery with her, so Dogoo was giving instructions. He gave them while carefully not touching her or her dog because Dogoo got dropped in the parking garage and was filthy! Jay actually drove home during surgery and put Dogoo into the wash and then he came back.

My social butterfly's favorite moment was making a friend. He had a Charizard stuffed animal and we saw him before and after surgery.

 
The other kids were gotten into the school bus by grandma. I was nervous that their school would be shut down for the ICE violence protest today or their busses, but they all went well. About 20 schools from our district did shut down, so we were lucky. 

She got a stuffed turtle just like Theo's -- the woman who gave it was a bit surprised when Miri said her brother had one like it and said only kids that get anesthesia get one. I confirmed that's how Theo got his. Her turtle came with its own mini mask line the one they gave her and let her decorate with stickers to prepare her to breathe in the sleep medicine. She picked cupcake scent for her mask.
There were so many people that came in to talk to us and had me signing things, that Miri seemed to get bored and anxious to begin. 
Finally they wheeled her away to surgery. 
She woke up quite upset and they gave her some more morphine before she left. She got a bit quieter after it, but not much, so we're not sure if it worked. 
We got home and she watched 2 movies and missed her siblings and played with a new toy she picked out as a surgery prize: a tiny electronic dog that comes with a carrying backpack and a whole bunch of accessories to pretend groom it. It also walks around and barks when you turn it on. She calls is Dogoo Jr. Dogoo is the dad (she has always been wishy washy of Dogoo is a boy or girl, but today insisted he was a boy) and Dogoo Jr. is a girl. 
Tonight she got up and finally walked around and spent 45 minutes up on her feet.
I told her the doctor said she would feel better soon -- 24 to 48 hours would be a big improvement. She said she still hurt, and didn't everyone tell her "soon" all day long and it always took a long time!?
That's right. Before surgery we saw so many people who said her surgery was "soon" but it was over 2 hours between the time we arrived and she finally went back to surgery. 

Miri sure is a clever girl!
 
She also told me that after she was pushed into the room for surgery, blowing up the balloon took the longest. They had her sit up and blow up a balloon using a mask that was delivering laughing gas and anesthesia to her. The next thing she knew, I was with her again after surgery. So she doesn't understand everything. The surgery itself was about 30 minutes. 
 
Update added the next day when I added photos: She is getting Tylenol and Ibuprophen every 3 hours and I was worried about night. She got a dose before falling asleep and then 6 hours later I woke her just a bit and told her to drink some Tylenol. I was worried it might make her tummy sick, but I didn't want to wake her enough to eat. She did fine and went back to sleep and 3.5 hours after that got up and took Ibuprofen with the special breakfast Theo made her: French toast, eggs, and mini donuts. She is moving around and eating well. Yay. 
I went to tell Jay that the chicken quesadillas were ready and found he had fallen asleep in his chair. It didn't look super comfy, but I figured he could use the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment