Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Truck is Broke

So, everyone knows to some degree that my truck is not operating so much right now. It will run, but I'm pretty sure if I drive it, it's slowly getting worse, and the last thing I want is to break down or worse, get into an accident. Here's the skinny.

The truck sat in the driveway pretty much my whole mission, and the tires ended up with dry rot, which my brother generously replaced. It developed a squeak in the alternator belt, and I thoguht it was just old belts. When I got the oil changed, they reccomended I change my belts, but they also sprayed transmission fluid on my transmission and told me they needed to take it apart to replace a tiny part. I founf out about this fraud and concluded they must have been lying about the belts too. After driving through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and most of Utah, the battery died and I was stranded in Beaver, UT where they replaced the alternator belt and voila, my truck seemed fine. After it got cold, the sqeak came back, which turned into a squeal. Add in a rattle and violent shaking and you have my truck today.

I took it in for a free winter check, and they told me that I need to replace my entire Harmonic Balancer, running about $850. Being both unenployed and poor, it's currently sitting in front of my apartment awaiting a cheaper alternative. That said, if anyone knows a good mechanic around Provo, let me know. Below are some pics and videos of the problem, it seems that the crankshaft otr something is wiggling and loose.

Photobucket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSCZ-X6DKEo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5frDAfdIOJE

No comments:

Post a Comment