Friday, October 21, 2011

Jay Away!

Tonight I'm waiting for Jay to get back from his second internship interview in North Carolina. I'll be so happy to have him home, but I'm so proud of him. He always works so hard.
This is de ja vu from last weekend when he did about the same thing, flying out early Thursday morning and returning about Friday past midnight. Last week I also tried to wait up for him, but he found me completely zonked on the bed with the nightstand light on :) poor Jay didn't actually get home until almost 2 am!
Little Foot was ill Tuesday night and all of Wednesday, so I spent my first day of fall break (isn't it weird that in Utah the schools take a fall break?) taking him to the vet and watching him closely... as well as playing princess barbie dolls with Sakura.
I have to report that Little Foot has really recovered, although I'm mixing the more digestible, canned dog food with his kibble still. I won't risk another upset tummy, especially with Jay away.
Last month was Jay's birthday. We've traditionally celebrated in tandem with Jay's best friend, Daniel, who is one day younger than Jay, but that didn't work out--Daniel was too busy with his baby, work and school to come down. Instead, we went out for sushi with Natalie, Chad, and the kids. They really had teriyaki chicken (Chad did have a sushi roll) rather than sushi, which especially Seth enjoyed. After that, Natalie and family went home (so Jay and I thought) and we went to stores and eventually ended up at the movies) As we entered, we got a call from Natalie. Apparently instead of just going home, the family had gone to the grocery store and Sakura had picked out a delicious cake. It was now past 7 p.m. and they were disappointed that we were staying for a movie because they were going to surprise us... and Sakura had to go to bed so soon...
Poor Sakura had anxiously been awaiting Jay's return, and not just because she loved her uncle, but she loved chocolate cake!
When we got home we were given a video of the family gathered around a lit cake and singing to Jay. On the table was 2/3 of a cake. Hahaha
I'm so glad I live in a family where we can do silly things (like eat a person's cake before they've seen it) and no one gets offended :)
As for my job, I'm enjoying it as I get to become more familiar with teaching and gaining experience. I have the best class of 6th graders ever :) They're quite sweet and noticed when I grew sick of my contacts (a long story about repeat calls to my eye doc's office and them taking forever to really order new lenses) and had donned my glasses. "Wow! You have glasses?!"
I have gotten to do read aloud with them. I just finished reading them Alcatraz Vs. the Evil Librarians. It's by Brandon Sanderson. I hear rumor that when Sanderson was supposed to be finishing up The Wheel of Time series (massive adult fantasy series... begun by the now deceased Robert Jordan), he took a break and wrote this light hearted YA novel. The kids loved it. When it comes down to it, I quite enjoyed it myself :)
The weather's pretty nice right now. The only annoyance is that in order for it to be perfect in the late morning/ until sundown, I sometimes have had to scrape ice from my windows. One day I'll graduate to covered parking, but until then...
I've been teaching a Friday class on babysitting to the scholars at my school. It's fun. We're going to attempt to make bean bags, just like I did last cycle of the class. Last time I ended up bringing more I made at home because some of them didn't turn out so well. I have some plans for making them turn out better this time. Last time I taught them the Heimlich and we made origami bats. Some kids asked how that fit in with a babysitting class. I told them that origami is usually pretty genius around kids. My point was proved just that night when I was watching Seth and Sakura and she got bored. Suddenly she had a bat to play with :)
Jay and I are enjoying teaching Sunbeams. Perhaps this isn't the place to admit a mistake, but it worked out fine: last week was Jay's turn to teach the lesson, but he'd been out of town and trying to get homework done anyway... and so Sunday morning, before Jay got up (I was up early to go to choir) I grabbed the manual, knowing I needed lesson 39. I turned there and found a lesson about how birds and insects are good and we need to be kind to them. I printed out some butterfly coloring pages and put honey and disposable spoons in my bag and got all prepared. What an easy lesson! Well in Sacrament, more awake, I realized that I had turned to PAGE 39 rather than the lesson. So the real lesson was about why we should be reverent. That lesson would be much harder to prepare (a much harder lesson to sell... not as fun activities... etc.) I finally decided that I would give the lesson I had prepared, and then give as much of the reverence lesson that fit. After all, these kids were 3 or 4 years old. They wouldn't know the difference.
So in class we had the birds and insects lesson, with stories about seagulls eating crickets that were destroying the pioneer's crops, and birds feeding Elijah (I noticed the lesson didn't say to tell the kids about John the Baptist, who ate locusts). The hit of the lesson was coloring the butterflies, cutting them out, and then playing a game with them (also suggested in the manual) with the butterflies.
We ended with talking about how the butterflies are reverent and how we should be reverent at church.
The kids, all little girls, had a great time. Here's the kicker--we had tons of fun while every other class learned about reverence and probably had less fun.
But 4 year olds rarely remember what they learned about. And then the articulate girl said the closing prayer, giving thanks for their butterflies and that she was able to learn about birds and insects" (notice she even remembered the advanced word we taught them all--insects).
My life's been a lot of fun lately (what with teaching little kids, and older kids and having good food... etc), and I love Jay who works so very hard.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I really wish I could go to Sunday school and eat honey and learn about being kind to bugs. And I think fall break is pretty cool. Don't you think it's weird that in AZ they take a break so everyone can go watch cowboys wrangle bulls at the rodeo? ;)

    ReplyDelete