Carrot Cake Pancakes!
Recipe based on this one.
My first try yielded good pancakes, but I didn't like the texture--I think I don't own a fine enough grater to get the carrots small enough to cook well. See, a carrot cake bakes for a lot longer than a pancake cooks, so I tried something else: boiling the carrots and then using my food processor to cut them up small.
| Notice the individual bits of carrot in the batter. I didn't completely puree them so they were more like very finely shredded carrot cake carrots than applesauce. |
2 cups chopped carrots
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
t teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Dash nutmeg
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup milk, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla
1) Put carrots in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until you can prick with a fork easily. Drain water and rinse in sink to cool.
2) Roughly puree the carrots in 1/2 cup milk.
3) Preheat griddle or fry pan.
4) Mix together the whole wheat flour, regular flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, and brown sugar in one bowl.
5) In a measuring cup mix 1/2 cup milk, egg, oil, and vanilla. Add this and the carrot/milk puree to the flour mixture and combine until moistened.
6) Cook, placing 1/4 cup scoops onto hot griddle. Flip when the tops are full of bubbles, then cook other side 1 minute more.
I had to add a bit of water to the batter because mine was thick. Also, the original recipe didn't call for oil. Because I had already messed up one attempted recipe today by forgetting a vital ingredient, I decided to just add a bit in to make me feel better. I couldn't stand to ruin 2 recipes in the same day!
The original recipe has a cream cheese spread to go on it that I'm sure is heavenly, so look that up. Unless you want to be like me and just eat them because they're delicious.
No comments:
Post a Comment