Saturday, June 28, 2014

While Jay was gone

While Jay was with the scouts, I missed him a lot, mostly in the evenings.
I know some couples are apart for months because of the military. I really admire them for their strength.

While Jay was gone I finally finished a tablerunner I've had in progress for a long time. It's not perfect, but I think it looks nice and I love the colors.

Another exciting thing for me was s thrift store find. I got a set of 30 white dishes that look brand new, still in the packaging. They're a bit heavy and thick and I was worried that they might be cheap and so a waste of money, but I decided to take that risk. They have 6 of everything--plates of 3 sizes, bowls, and little cups that are awesome. Since Jay had the camera, I was limited to the iPad for taking pictures.

Anyway, when I was in the thrift store and about to check out the dishes, a woman asked how much they were. I told her $20 and she said, "They're Gibson? Well I got a set of new Gibson for $11.98." 
I thought about not getting them, since I didn't want junk--perhaps they wouldn't microwave well and get super hot while the food stayed cold. Maybe they would look bad in just 6 months. But I decided to risk it.
I got home and Google told me that my set was worth about $70. I suspect the woman was trying to convince me to put the set back to she could buy it herself. 
There's something very satisfying about owning these dishes now. Ha!

 Funny, the pictures I took of the baked potato for my food blog with the iPad turned out better. These are a bit blurry.





No comments:

Post a Comment