Thursday, March 24, 2016

Theo Stent Removal

Wednesday Mar. 9, Theo was scheduled to have his stent removed. He was allowed milk until 3:30 a.m., so I woke him at 2:40 a.m. to make sure he got in one last feed. The last time he went under anesthesia, he had been cut off from eating at 6:30 a.m. and then got out of surgery at 1:30 p.m., but was too dopey from medicine to eat until 6 p.m. That's why I wanted him to eat as close as safely possible to having anesthesia, just in case he had little interest later.

This time we got to the hospital at 6:30 a.m. and the surgery started at 7:30 a.m. The stent removal was so basic, the biggest concern was really the minor worries about anesthesia.

At 7:30 a.m. I handed my sleepy boy over to the anesthesiologist. At 7:52 a.m. Dr. Ashley came out to report that the surgery went well and we should get to see Theo when he wakes up. The surgeon also noted that Theo has gotten a little chubbier since last month. We all smiled about how healthy he looks.

The last time the nurses took 40 minutes to get us. This time they took ten, and the scene was completely different. Last time we were led to see our baby lying mostly still and drugged with just slits for eyes. This time we were quickly led to where one nurse holding and jiggling Theo in her arms. She looked glad to see us.

They said Theo woke up screaming and hungry. They had given him 2 ounces of Pedialyte which he sucked down ridiculously fast. They let me feed him, which he did with gusto for about ten minutes, and then he cuddled up and drifted off to sleep. They took his vitals, which woke him up, and then he looked around curiously and grinned at the blond nurse. The nurse told us kids never grinned at her after surgery. I told her my son is pretty tough.

We were told we could go and given a few instructions -- like that Theo might have some discomfort for 3 days. I brought the car around and Jay carried him out in his car seat. I drove away and Jay went to work (ugh, tax season).

Theo had some fussy times and his sleeping schedule was really messed up, but all in all it went well. We are so glad that is done!

I joke that Theo is no longer bionic -- he got that stent out and is now 100% human.
Dressed on some warm pajamas and ready to go home

No comments:

Post a Comment