Saturday, October 28, 2017

Halloween -- Avatar: the Last Airbender

This year we got our Halloween costumes together, eventually. We did Avatar the Last Airbender. Theo: Aang the Last Airbender (main character)
Jay: Sokka
Julie: Katara
Little Foot: Appa, the flying bison

I made mine and Theo's costumes, but Jay helped. He used the 3D printer to make a mold to make my necklace. And then he got a hat and painted it for Theo's bald head with the arrow. Jay made his and Little Foot's costumes. He did such a good job!

I regret not using patterns for the costumes but they got done eventually. I had to do and redo and figure out a lot of things. Next year I'll use stretchy fabric for Theo's (whatever he is). The costumes were also comfy, which I was excited about.

We had a little party with a few of Theo's friends last night. Jay decorated using the 3D printer and even made personalized twist containers for the kids to take home. I made ham and cheese sliders and meatballs. Jay made rice balls. Theo made a mess. Just kidding. His big mess was today.

Tonight we had a church party with Trunk of Treating. Theo got good at saying "Trick or treat!" About halfway around the cars Jay asked him, "What do you say?"
Theo replied, "Theo gets one candy!"
I'm always so impressed when he makes a sentence.
He was also good at saying thank you.

We had several people recognize our costumes (although most had to ask). It was so much fun seeing all the little kids in costumes. It's fun to dress up as an adult, but we will never be as cute as all of the kids.

He dressed up for library Halloween storytime. He loved seeing all the other kids in costume, and he especially liked the monkey costume. He kept saying, "Monkey! Monkey!"
And then her mom took the hood off and he realized that the monkey was really his friend and he shouted, "Amy!"
It was so cute. Amy was very overwhelmed by all the costumes and was glad that Theo's costume looks like a regular human.


Appa

Sokka, Aang, Katara


His saddle was 3D printed

Sokka's necklace was 3D printed

At our party Theo's friend wanted to read a book. She is a real party animal. 



I think that's Jeannette's foot



Live long and prosper, says the first blond Vulcan

Fun with friends

Having some boy fun



Today I took a nap while Jay watched Theo. Theo climbed into the rocking chair and read a book until he fell asleep. We later found him asleep on his elevated bed. There is no mattress on it, since the mattress is on the floor!




At the church trunk or treat party







Wendy and Smee!



Katara's complicated hairstyle. Jay had to help me untangle my hair. He was like, "What did you do?"
I pulled in through itself a bunch of times like the online tutorial said."
"Yeah, that's how you make a fisherman's knot."

But my hair looked cute.


One ready for beam up.
Okay, not really, he would have just used his communicator.






Theo loved the cake walk game. Standing on numbers is his thing. Then he got a cupcake.




Looking at hamsters. He seemed to think a bald one was a hippo


That's the top of a head from a stuffed animal dog.
Jay had originally planned to use the body of the stuffed animal to make Little Foot's costume. We aren't just sadistic and cut up stuffed animals so we can put them on Little Foot and laugh and laugh and laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Ok I love this post. The pictures are soo cute! We had lots of fun celebrating Halloween with friends the last few days -- and yes, Amy REALLY appreciated that Theo still looked like Theo this year. Also, the last picture made me laugh out loud while staring at my computer. Ben probably thinks I'm crazy now.

    ReplyDelete