Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Jay birthday and Kidney Update

I wrote a few things a few weeks ago and am amazed at just how much his vocabulary and use of sentences has improved even since then.

Kidney update:

Theo had surgery when he was 12 weeks old to remove a blockage beneath his left kidney. This fix appears to be holding, but now both kidneys are moderately swollen again. Tests show reflux (allowing urine to flow from the bladder back up to the kidneys). This puts him at risk for infection and is causing the swelling. If it doesn't resolve itself in 6 months, he may need a bladder surgery called ureter re-implantation surgery. He is a strong little dude and we feel confident that he will be okay even if he needs surgery.

We got him a flu shot and he didn't cry at all. The next day he asked to go back to the doctor's. I asked him what we did at the doctor's last time and he said excitedly, "Shot!" They did give him a sucker after his shot, so maybe he just loves sugar. Still, he is very brave.

I feel like I should tell a little about Theo right now. Months ago he resisted me singing him lullabys at night -- he preferred listening to his bear that Gabi and Tache got him that plays relaxing music. Now he requests for me to sing. He loves, "I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus," and "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam."
Other songs he loves me to sing:
The Wheels on the Bus
5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes

He did this all by himself.

Just found himself a cozy place to sit and read

I was at a church ladies' activity and Jay said Theo and Little Foot entertained each other and played well while I was gone.

Jay's giant printed 3D box with wood filament


Recently we have found some non-fiction science books for babies that he loves. ABC Universe and Rocket Science for Babies have been big hits. He still loves his fiction too, but especially fiction with rockets in it.

He has a library book called "Matilda's Cat." In it Matilda is trying to figure out what he cat likes, but it doesn't seem to like anything. At the end she finally figures it out.
I read, "Matilda's cat likes. . ." Then I ask Theo, "What does Matilda's cat like?"
(The correct answer is "Matilda.")
Theo knows this -- we've read the book a lot -- but he typically responds, "Pizza!" or sometimes, "Cake!"

On Jay's birthday we went to my parent's for Sunday dinner and had pot roast and potatoes and enjoyed time with the cousins. Theo and I had slept really poorly, but Theo had lots of energy anyway.

Then the next day we had a date to the movies to see The War for the Planet of the Apes while some friends watched Theo for us. I hope Jay had a really nice birthday. I know at his work he also had cherry pie, which is why I sewed him a Totoro in lieu of the normal cherry pie I make.



Trampoline at Grandma and GrandDad's


Jay and I at the Tucson temple

He got up there himself. Oh, dear! He makes his mother nervous.

He loves sunglasses. He often falls asleep for his nap in the stroller

Do you see how he pulled up a chair all on his own and is using the child lock on the cupboard to reach the water?

Theo was really mad that I put him down to take a picture of Jay's birthday, so Jay was trying to cheer him up.

Happy birthday, Jay! Birthday Reeses' Rice Krispy treats


He would not nap and would not nap . . . and then at 4:15 p.m. I wondered why it suddenly got so quiet. He had gone to sleep on my bed all by himself. This is really weird for him. 

I made Jay a Totoro for  his birthday

Theo was trying to reach something and got stuck, his little feet waving in the air.


9-29-17
Tonight at bedtime Jay told Theo he looked tired.
After lights out, he kept thrashing around and repeating, "Theo tired. Theo tired."
He has more and more cute vocabulary.

Earlier this week Jay left for work. When he turned on the truck, I heard Theo (who had been asleep) cry out. I came in and Theo was standing at the window. When the sound of the truck faded away in the distance, Theo turned to me and mournfully said, "One daddy all gone."

On Sunday, which was also Jay's birthday, Theo fought getting dressed for church. Then I told him he could have another piece of bacon once he was dressed. He suddenly was very cooperative and loved his bacon. I think having a son who loves bacon can be considered a great birthday gift for Jay.

No comments:

Post a Comment