Theo really liked the Desert Museum. I didn't get pictures of too much, but he really liked the new play area, the Pack Rat Play House. He was scared of caves, both the man made big one you walk through to learn about caves, and the other, smaller pretend one in the play area. We also pet sting rays, the first time I have done that. It was fun. According to the woman who works there, they are one of the few wild animals that enjoy interacting with humans.
A little girl I didn't know got really close to me on one side. Theo, on the other side, splashed her. I apologized and her mom said the girl shouldn't have been so close to us anyway.
| Digging for pretend dinosaur bones |
I taught preschool and was finishing the unit on the senses and I decided to do a Mr. Potato Head sticky paper activity I had heard was easier than having kids do glue sticks. You put the cut out of the potato head on the ground, tape contact paper, sticky side up on top, and then the kids can put all the eyes, feet, etc on top and they will stick. Easy, right?
It was a disaster. The kids kept getting the sticky paper stuck to their feet and hands and the entire paper would lift up. It took a lot of adult help. It took more set up than glue sticks and then the kids needed more adult help to put back the sticky paper each time it got loose. Also, the decorations bag got dumped. But they look pretty cute. I guess I learned a lot from that preschool day. And I don't know that the kids noticed that it was chaos and not easy like I had pictured. We actually had all the moms say that day so we did have lots of help.
After that we skipped the final activity and went to free play time. I took that final activity with me to book club and Theo did it by himself and really liked it. It has pictures of a nose, finger, eye, mouth, ear, and then pictures of things that you enjoy with each and so you match them up. He put the dog one next to the ear. I asked if listening to a dog is really the most fun thing to do with it. He said, "Yes, woof, woof!"
Okay, so he defended his choice. It makes sense. I'm proud of him.
Theo is now able to sound out some words. We did some picture matching the words in Sacrament meeting yesterday. He did well and I'm glad it's encouraging him to work on his fine motor skills. He has little interest in coloring neatly, which is fine.
Theo started a rock collection, since Prince Wednesday on Daniel Tiger has a rock collection.
The next part was the Pima Air and Space Museum. Theo loves airplanes and had a nice time. He also really loved playing with Daddy. It was an event and they had these blow up pretzel things as decorations/take home treats. Theo giggled and laughed so hard with Jay playing with him.
On Friday Theo declared that he was having a letter birthday party for the letter n. We turned a cardboard box into a cake. He glued on the paper and the leftover shapes from preschool as decoration. We make holes using a nail and then enlarged them with a Phillips screw driver. Then he asked me to write an "N" on top so I did. And then he cried a lot. Apparently his party was for lowercase n. I covered it with yellow and then drew the correct n on it.
After that we made presents for n. Under Theo's instruction, I drew a package and then a helicopter and then Peppa Pig and her family. Theo said all the letters were going to come to the party and play games and have cake and open presents.
But then he got distracted by Peppa Pig and her family and played with them instead.
I feel like the big thing with turning 3 is how many opinions Theo and his friends now have and are able to communicate. It was definitely a successful play morning, even if I got little done around the house.
Theo had his first VR experience. He got to see planets and the sun and the inside of a house. He loved it just like his daddy. His eyes are too close together to use it for long, but for a short time he liked it.
The other day Theo started playing with the truck puzzle that my grandma C. got him earlier. He was imitating YouTube videos and said loudly, "Now we will learn about trucks. Let's count them." And then he counted them to ten. After that I asked if he wanted to name them. He said, "Okay, the dump truck is Dumpy." He picked up the crane with the wrecking ball on it, "This is Wrecky."

No comments:
Post a Comment