Saturday, April 28, 2018

Grandma Carpenter

My grandma, Mary Anna Carpenter, passed away last Thursday. I will miss her, but I'm sure she's so happy to be reunited with Grandpa and her children, Brenda and Chuck.





Grandma loved to have the family together. She would always bake delicious rolls and make great meals and everyone would gather. She also would come and visit us often. She worked hard to be a part of our lives. Once a few years ago I asked on Facebook about an issue I was having with my pizza crust recipe and she had some valuable advice. Her skills were not just bread, but using computers and social media as well. How many grandmas do that? She also graduated in accounting when women were basically only allowed to be nurses and doctors.


Grandma was always hard working. She did some accounting when she was newly graduated, and much later did book keeping type work for Uncle Chuck when he did insurance. She worked as a school lunch lady (I believe because it was a job she could take where she only worked school hours so that she could then be there for her 7 kids). When Lisa got married, at Lisa's wedding reception, she worked in the kitchen before the event. A woman from our ward was amazed at how quickly she could cut the sheet cakes (and well). The lady told her, "You can't have cut them that fast!"

Grandma was thrifty. My mom says that when she was little and her dad was still in school, Grandma figured out what the cheapest breakfast was -- grits -- and so that is what they ate every day. She made clothes for her kids and taught them to do it themselves as they got older. My grandparents grew and canned produce. I especially remember eating corn on the cob at their house. She also bottled peaches. She taught my mom a lot of ways to be thrifty and my mom has taught many things to me, although I don't eat grits every day (or really ever. After that experience growing up, my mom never bought them.) When I was in college I mentioned that we only had 1 set of towels for our kitchen and she later that day came up from her basement with some kitchen towels she had in storage just in case. They were older looking, but worked just fine. Later for my birthday she made me pretty hand towels for my kitchen with a crocheted top and button so they don't fall on the floor.

I remember once when I was maybe around age 11 that my grandparents came and took care of us kids while my parents went to D.C. together. We enjoyed having our grandparents there. Looking back, it must have been so much work to take care of all 7 of us! When you're a kid, you don't see all the work that goes into raising you.

My grandma loved her family and loved children so much. She believed that it was important for parents to get on the floor and play games with their young children. She also believed in connection to extended family and did family history. 

When I was little, I had very curly hair, and I believe I got that hair from her. I also got my middle name, Ann, from her as well. I remember as a child often celebrating my birthday up at her house (since I had the only summer birthday). They tell a story of how she made a beautifully decorated birthday cake in some kind of cute shape (I don't remember which, a duck or something) and their cat got into it and wrecked it. She was not happy about that!

My grandma, mom, and aunts for years went to women's conference each April at BYU. One year at college I joined them for a time. The speakers were great, but this was the first I heard that they do service projects. They had a crochet project the ladies could work on while they listened. I was convinced into trying with my poor crochet skills. Eventually I asked for help from my mom. A few minutes later, she asked for help from her mom -- Grandma. Grandma was able to fix everything. I have had many blankets and quilts made by her throughout the years and Theo has a froggy one too. My mom made Sarah's new baby, Ira, a quilt while up in Utah a few months ago, and Grandma helped a little with it, despite being so sick. Then my mom finished in Tucson and I helped a little with the quilting. So we hand quilted on the same quilt.

I will miss her and look forward to seeing her again in the next life.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting, Julie. I learned many things I didn't know about grandma.

    ReplyDelete