I had 4 days before had a non- stress test to monitor some painless contractions and a fetal fibrinectin test that called back negative. They determined the contractions were not doing anything, the girls looked good, and the fetal fibrinectin did not indicate I would be going into labor in the next 3 weeks.
Now my water was broken. I hoped I could stay pregnant another week.
My contractions started to feel crampy. I was assured by the nurse that they looked like they were showing on the monitor and not getting worse. The night progressed and they felt like they were getting worse.
Looking back, I have no idea what the nurse was seeing on the monitor. Was it not picking up that they were getting stronger?
I asked if I needed to tell her when they felt worse. She said okay. Did I need an epidural?
No, I wasn't going to get an epidural unless I was told I was officially in labor and going to have to deliver. I was okay, but I wanted them to know my contractions were no longer painless.
The night wore on. I had IV fluids but was still do very thirsty. My nurse waited on me hand and foot because I couldn't get up.
Was I having pressure? I was asked repeatedly.
No, but the cramps hurt worse.
Did I want an epidural?
No, why would I want an epidural? But the pains were worse, like bad period cramps. Later they hurt. A lot. Like 7-8 on the pain scale.
Look, I can't get rest because they hurt. I don't want an epidural. Maybe you can get me something else through my IV?
My nurse went to call my doctor. Another came in to try to adjust the 2 baby monitors. Baby B kept moving away from the monitor. Twins are hard to keep track of. That's when I announced I felt pressure.
My nurse returned able to give me some pain medication and was told to call the doctor right back. Still with morphine, I felt pressure in the contractions. The doctor on call came right in.
She said I was dilated to a 9 and we needed to deliver. They were now 29 weeks and 5 days gestation.
I got an epidural. Both girls were head down, but with twins you may need an emergency C-section so one is suggested so the anesthesiologist doesn't have to knock you completely out if you need emergency surgery.
Jay got surgery clothes to cover his while I got an epidural.
The on call doctor explained that the babies were both head down, but if the second turned over after the first was delivered, I'd need a C-section because she was too small to deliver breech. I told her I'd take that chance.
I was wheeled to the OR, ready or not. My own doctor came in. I delivered the first baby in like 3 pushes. The on call OB stayed too and grabbed my stomach to help keep the second twin in place, instead of turning in the new space. We waited a bit and then I delivered the second twin, 27 minutes after the first. She was face up, I believe, when the normal position is face down. Or maybe it was the opposite. I just know her face was not the best approach but she was small and I delivered her fine. I comically remember how after her head came out at a normal speed, her body practically shot out since I had to use lots of pressure on the head.
They were beautiful.
We eventually decided on names.
Wendy, whose name is Gwendolyn May, was born first at 3 pounds. She's the one Theo nick named Kitty in the womb, and still calls her Kitty. He says he's glad Kitty sounds like Wendy, a little.
Miriam Ann was born next at 3 pounds 4 ounces. Theo calls her Bunny.
Wendy, despite being smaller, has needed less help breathing. She has had a cannula that they are turning down the oxygen percentage on. She also started getting feeds first through a tube.
Miriam did need to go on a ventilator, and be intubated for about a day or 2. She responded really well to it and came off stronger. She has also started feeds.
Theo has been pretty great and brave. He wrote me a letter when I was in the hospital because, "On Totoro Mei's older sister wrote her mother a note when her mother was in the hospital."
Jay helped him spell things, but he wrote by himself.
It's been hard on him that I have been gone and that he can't see his sisters at all. The night I got home he put his hands on my tummy and said, "Mommy, I wish my sisters were still in your tummy!"
I love this wish. It's my wish too.
I know many NICU parents feel heartbroken that they can't bring their babies home. These girls were so early, I know we are in for the long haul at the NICU. The doctor said best case would probably be going home at the end of January. Things look good, but they have to learn to breathe and eat as well as gain weight and do the things that they should have developed in the third trimester. I too just wish they could have stayed in longer.
My physical recovery has been good.
We get to visit our girls whenever we want.
I got to hold Wendy. I think she may have loved it even more than I did. She looked at me with big eyes and then curled up a bit and went right to sleep. She didn't do any of her feet kicking that we discourage in preemies her age -- we try to replicate the womb, so that means if their movements get too big, they can become overwhelmed. If you see kicking or flailing, you can place your hand to give them a surface to be tucked against, like how in the womb they don't have unlimited space.
Also, she doesn't have an umbilical cord like in the womb and needs her energy to breathe and digest.
Jay got to pick up Miri briefly for her weighing the other night.
Last night he held Wendy for over an hour. She received her feed by tube at the same time and he said she was super wiggly until he gave her a pacifier. I take that as a good sign that she wants to suck while she is being fed. Then she went contentedly to sleep. Hopefully we will be able to hold Miriam soon too.
We get to help with their care, changing diapers and just trying to calm them while the nurses do what they have to.
Theo
Theo has had sad moments. Last night we invited some of his friends over and had a "birthday party" for his sisters. We printed some photos and displayed a slide show and had ice cream and Theo picked out a zero candle from the store which he blew out on behalf of his sisters.
He's had some crying jags. He's been sad that the babies aren't in my tummy anymore and so he can't kiss them through my tummy. And also he cried when Grandma said she was going to watch him again. Because it's RSV season, they only allow parents, grandparents, and siblings older than 13 to visit the babies in the NICU.
I came home after 2 nights away from Theo (1 night since giving birth) and Theo was so glad I was home. He was the big reason I left the hospital after 1 night.
He is so sweet. A former coworker of Jay's crocheted blankets and stuffed animals -- a Bunny and a Kitty -- for the girls. But Theo kissed and slept with them one night. I suggested the stuffed animals since he couldn't kiss his sisters. He kissed them and told me that he still didn't feel all the way better. I just stayed with him until he was asleep.
Last night he held Wendy for over an hour. She received her feed by tube at the same time and he said she was super wiggly until he gave her a pacifier. I take that as a good sign that she wants to suck while she is being fed. Then she went contentedly to sleep. Hopefully we will be able to hold Miriam soon too.
We get to help with their care, changing diapers and just trying to calm them while the nurses do what they have to.
Theo
Theo has had sad moments. Last night we invited some of his friends over and had a "birthday party" for his sisters. We printed some photos and displayed a slide show and had ice cream and Theo picked out a zero candle from the store which he blew out on behalf of his sisters.
He's had some crying jags. He's been sad that the babies aren't in my tummy anymore and so he can't kiss them through my tummy. And also he cried when Grandma said she was going to watch him again. Because it's RSV season, they only allow parents, grandparents, and siblings older than 13 to visit the babies in the NICU.
I came home after 2 nights away from Theo (1 night since giving birth) and Theo was so glad I was home. He was the big reason I left the hospital after 1 night.
He is so sweet. A former coworker of Jay's crocheted blankets and stuffed animals -- a Bunny and a Kitty -- for the girls. But Theo kissed and slept with them one night. I suggested the stuffed animals since he couldn't kiss his sisters. He kissed them and told me that he still didn't feel all the way better. I just stayed with him until he was asleep.
![]() |
| Miriam |
![]() |
| Miriam |
![]() |
| Theo visiting me after his sisters were born |
![]() |
| Miri |
![]() |
| Wendy |
![]() |
| Wendy |
![]() |
| Miri on the ventilator. Now she's off :) |
![]() |
| Wendy |
![]() |
| Blue light for jaundice |
![]() |
| Wendy |
![]() |
| Wendy foot |
![]() |
| Wendy |
![]() |
| Miriam |
![]() |
| Theo at the birthday party for his sisters. He found the zero candle at the store and said we needed it because his sisters turned zero :) :) :) |
![]() |
| Wendy |





















I’m so glad they are doing well. What an overwhelming experience. Thanks for sharing what the labor and delivery was like, I can’t imagine the shock of it all. I hope they grow quickly and I hope you, Jay, and Theo find an excess of support and comfort while they grow
ReplyDeleteRachel F
Absolutely amazing!!
ReplyDeleteWow! That sounds quite overwhelming. It seems that there are many joys and sorrows in the girls young lives already! Just think of what an interesting birth story they will have to tell future generations! So awesome Theo's reactions and concerns for you and his sister's as well! ❤
ReplyDelete