Friday, August 7, 2015

Oregon Trip, Shasta Caverns

On Saturday after our Turtle Bay Park and a nap, we picked up lunch and then headed to Shasta Caverns. This was probably the highlight of our drive to Beaverton (before seeing extended family).

We were allowed to bring our dog if he was carried. Jay carried Little Foot and I carried our unborn child, so that's fair, right?

The trip started with a ferry ride across a lake. Little Foot and Littler Foots' first boat rides! After that we rode on a bus up a very steep mountain path to the cave entrance. The cave was a bit like Kartchner Caverns in AZ in that it's a living cave. It had a path with lots and lots and lots of stairs and a handrail that they put in.

If I remember correctly, this was more strenuous than Kartchner Caverns, but it has been a decade since I've been, and this time I have 40% more blood pumping through me and a baby growing inside me, so I may not be the best judge. Still, since it was 61 degrees inside and there were benches to sit on and I had water, I made it through just fine.

I think Kartchner Caverns was more visually impressive, but it didn't come with a ferry ride. They were similarly priced.

Jay and I visited a cave on our honeymoon in Flagstaff, AZ, so it was extra fun to go to a cave together on this trip. 
Little Foot really seemed to enjoy is comfy Youth on Broadway carrying sack :)

The ferry awaits



The view from the bus



Little Foot was very interested when we first got into the cave.
He eventually got over it, but at first he wanted to see what everything was.


Jay likes how we're both looking up





A ladder from the original explorers. No, we weren't allowed to climb it.


Back outside in the sunshine and enjoying the view

On the ferry

The Shakespearean Star Wars family that Little Foot temporarily adopted
I should explain the last photo.

Before our cave tour, we saw a family with 3 kids, ages 11-16 all lying on blankets with their heads resting against their dad while they listened to a recording of a Shakespearean Star Wars play. It was pretty hilarious! 2 hours later after our tour, we got out and they were still there, listening. Little Foot decided they were pretty cool and when they started packing up, he went over to the mom to get some attention and everyone in the family joined in giving him love.

No comments:

Post a Comment